What is Smart Grid? The SMART GRID is the evolution of our current electrical grid, using new technology to optimize the conservation and delivery of power. All told, the smart grid promises to increase the efficiency of today’s system by around 9% by 2030, saving more than 400 billion kilowatt-hours each year. That’s huge. That means we could save $42 billion in year 1 and as we keep saving energy, its value each year only increases.
- Road Trip 70 million road trips around the world With the smart grid's yearly energy savings, you could drive an electric car 1.7 trillion miles, which would take you around the world several million times and would likely void the warranty.
- The Fridge 199 million years of refrigerator use The total energy saved by the smart grid in just 12 months could run your fridge through several Ice Ages.
- Stay Frosty 378 million cool, comfy homes The yearly energy the smart grid saves could air-condition 378,000,000 homes. Or about 2 million of those 102,000-square-foot neighborhood superstores.
- The Meter $585 per household A recent study estimated that modernizing today's grid could mean nearly $600 in direct bill savings for the average household each year.
- JFK to Paris 7.6 million round-trip flights The $42 billion in annual smart grid energy savings could buy you several lifetimes' worth of air travel from JFK airport to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. Those aren't economy-class seats, either.
- Solar Power Secures America’s energy independence In five years, solar power has generated enough clean energy to power 1.2 million households. Smart grid makes renewable power feasible.
- Vegas Baby! 423 billion kilowatt-hours per year The energy saved by the smart grid is enough to power Las Vegas. 207 times over.
3 Big Changes in the World of Electric Vehicles
4 Ways to Start Saving Energy This Winter
3 Innovations That Will Have a Major Impact on Renewable Energy
3 Ways to Get Involved in Renewable Energy
What Type of Energy Saver Are You?
Seal in the Savings with These Weatherization Tips
3 Ways to Level Up Your Energy Savings
Five Cities and States That Have Committed to Clean Energy
Five Energy-Saving Tips for Earth Day
Three Smart Home Products to Help You Start Saving Energy
Why Renewable Energy Is Taking Off
Be More Energy Efficient This Year with These Resolutions
Three More Exciting Things About the Evolving World of Energy
Three Ways to Be Smarter About Energy This Holiday Season
Three Things You Might Not Know About Electric Vehicles
Six Ways to Start Saving Energy This Fall
Six Cool Things About the Evolving World of Energy
Five Tips for Making Your House an Energy-Saving Smart Home
Five Ways You Can Save on Energy This Summer (And Money, Too!)
Dispelling Three Common Myths About Electric Vehicles
Three Spring Cleaning Tips to Improve Your Home’s Energy Efficiency
Has the Smart Grid Made its Mark?
Virtual Power Plants: Coming to a Power Grid Near You
What’s A Microgrid? And How Is It Part of Our Smarter Energy Future?
How to Use Less Power and Save Money on Your Holiday Lighting
SECC Smart Grid on Twitter
Bill shows how Smart Meters are a step in the direction to energy independence
Ian and Sandra talk about how Smart Meters help them with their large family
Ken talks about how his Smart Meter helps him monitor his energy usage
Anthony talks about how his Smart Meter helps him make intelligent decisions
Ruth talks about her Smart Meter pilot program
Dan's Smart Meter give him a bird's eye view of energy usage
Leigh's Smart Meter helps her save money year round
Smart Grid helps Patricia use energy more wisely
What kind of energy consumer are you?
Learn more about the energy management programs available in your local area and take advantage...
Select Your State
- All States
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Do you want to know more?
Do you have questions about the smart grid? Or maybe you just need more to go on