What is Smart Grid? The SMART GRID is the evolution of our current electrical grid, using new technology to optimize the conservation and delivery of power. All told, the smart grid promises to increase the efficiency of today’s system by around 9% by 2030, saving more than 400 billion kilowatt-hours each year. That’s huge. That means we could save $42 billion in year 1 and as we keep saving energy, its value each year only increases.
- Road Trip 70 million road trips around the world With the smart grid's yearly energy savings, you could drive an electric car 1.7 trillion miles, which would take you around the world several million times and would likely void the warranty.
- The Fridge 199 million years of refrigerator use The total energy saved by the smart grid in just 12 months could run your fridge through several Ice Ages.
- Stay Frosty 378 million cool, comfy homes The yearly energy the smart grid saves could air-condition 378,000,000 homes. Or about 2 million of those 102,000-square-foot neighborhood superstores.
- The Meter $585 per household A recent study estimated that modernizing today's grid could mean nearly $600 in direct bill savings for the average household each year.
- JFK to Paris 7.6 million round-trip flights The $42 billion in annual smart grid energy savings could buy you several lifetimes' worth of air travel from JFK airport to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. Those aren't economy-class seats, either.
- Solar Power Secures America’s energy independence In five years, solar power has generated enough clean energy to power 1.2 million households. Smart grid makes renewable power feasible.
- Vegas Baby! 423 billion kilowatt-hours per year The energy saved by the smart grid is enough to power Las Vegas. 207 times over.
Virtual Power Plants: Coming to a Power Grid Near You
What’s A Microgrid? And How Is It Part of Our Smarter Energy Future?
How to Use Less Power and Save Money on Your Holiday Lighting
What You Need to Know About Dynamic Electricity Pricing
The Internet of Things Is Changing the Way We Use Energy
How the Smart Grid Helps During Hurricane Season
Is a Smart Thermostat a Worthwhile Investment for Your Home?
What's the Deal with Energy Storage?
Despite Paris Agreement Withdrawal, Smart Energy Marches Forward
Three Proactive Ways to Improve Energy Efficiency at Home
Is a Prepay Electricity Plan a Good Fit for You?
Three More Easy Earth Day Upgrades
Is Your Utility the New Amazon for Energy?
Roof Not Required: New Options Emerge for Accessing Solar Energy
Exactly What is a Smart City and Why Should You Care?
Four Energy Tips to Help You Survive the Holidays
Happy Halloween from the Smart Grid: Making Houses Less Haunted
5 Ways Smart Grid is Like a Football Game
3 Reasons to Invest in Solar Energy
5 Smart Home Gadgets for Smarter Energy Consumption
Top 5 Energy Efficient Cities to Visit this Summer
Grilling Out: The Smart Grid Way
3 Easy Earth Day Upgrades
Timing Is Everything: 3 Tips for Shifting Energy Usage
Top 10 Friendliest Cities for Electric Vehicles
SECC Smart Grid on Twitter
Anthony talks about how his Smart Meter helps him make intelligent decisions
Bill shows how Smart Meters are a step in the direction to energy independence
Ian and Sandra talk about how Smart Meters help them with their large family
Ken talks about how his Smart Meter helps him monitor his energy usage
Ruth talks about her Smart Meter pilot program
Tiffany explains the benefits of Smart Meters to Frank
Dan's Smart Meter give him a bird's eye view of energy usage
Leigh's Smart Meter helps her save money year round
Smart Grid helps Patricia use energy more wisely
What kind of energy consumer are you?
Learn more about the energy management programs available in your local area and take advantage...
Select Your State
- All States
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Do you want to know more?
Do you have questions about the smart grid? Or maybe you just need more to go on